Saturday 5 April 2014

Feet according to the Bible

The Bible seems to have quite a lot to say about feet.

Foot being washed by JesusMost of it seems to be about subject yourself to the dominance of others whether it's God, your Lord King or, if your woman, at the feet of your husband.

Is a bit of a strange thought to me I must admit, we would prostrate yourself in front of anyone I've really no idea especially of your partner but then again, this was over 2000 years ago and perhaps anything went.

Perhaps I should have a word with my wife and mention Ruth 3:8 "at midnight the man was startled and turned over, and behold, a woman lay at his feet". What this means I have absolutely no idea but no doubt is a very deep and meaningful; too much so for my little mind.

Hebrews 12:13 seems a little bit confused when it was said "and make straight paths for your feet, so what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed".

If I had a Sunday school teacher and I'm sure she would be completely ashamed to know me well at the same time discussing exactly what it meant with regards to life, the universe and everything.

Luke doesn't like to have sinners touch his feet, it seems:

One of the Pharisees asked him to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's house and took his place at the table. And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was reclining at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment, and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head and kissed his feet and anointed them with the ointment. Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner.” And Jesus answering said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he answered, “Say it, Teacher.”

Personally, I would rather have a sinner touch my toes then somebody pure but then I suppose that says more about me than anyone else.

Back to searching for things about feet. What a strange pastime I've got.

Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment